Thursday, August 25, 2011

Unemployment, Panic, and Silver Lining

So now I'm unexpectedly unemployed. I'm rather upset about this, as the situation is utterly ridiculous. I got fired because I was caught in horrible and unexpected traffic that resulted in me being late one too many times. I was not allowed an explanation of the circumstances, or any sort of chance to defend myself. I was simply told to hand over my keys and leave. Couldn't even finish out my shift. Bastards.

I actually liked that job, and I was doing everything in my power to get there early and do my job. It's just a few times I ended up stuck in traffic I couldn't avoid (Thank you Philadelphia!) that caused it to end. 99% of the time I was there 20 minutes early. Doesn't that count for something? Apparently not.

So now I embark on yet another feverish job hunt. I need to find something and quickly. That or manage to generate a steady stream of clients to fuel my freelancing full time. I doubt that's going to happen. I'm just not sure where to go with this. I could hand my resume off to a friend and ask them to put in a good word with their boss, but that job would suck the soul out of me. I would hate it every day. It would hurt in ways I can't even explain. It would be in a call center. Ugh. I HATE call centers.

Another option is to submit my resume to the temp agencies I had worked through previously. The problem with this would be landing yet another hateful position in yet another call center at this same company. Oh, the hurt! Additionally, I could hope and pray that the more local branch of that same agency would provide me with a position that lasts more than a month. I'd like to point out that this has never happened.

A third option is to submit my resume and portfolio to some local design temp agencies and see where that goes. It would be in my field, granting me much needed experience. But would I actually get any positions? I worry that my work is not up to par, that my lack of experience is going to forever hold me back, that if I did get in I'd just be overwhelmed. Honestly, I probably worry too much about that stuff.

There's a lot to think about here, and a lot that needs doing. I really can't go too long without generating an income. However, I will have more time to work on my own projects until I DO find something. So, at least there's some silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment